The WESTERN SOCIETY OF MALACOLOGISTS
announce a call for proposals for
2017 STUDENT RESEARCH GRANTS IN MALACOLOGY
As part of their commitment to the continued study of mollusks, the Western Society of Malacologists are again pleased to announce the availability of grants to support student research in malacology. Funds are available for actual research costs, including but not limited to, field and laboratory equipment, chemicals, photographic supplies, computer time and supplies, microscope usage fees, and reasonable research travel costs.
Applicant must be a full time student in a formal graduate or undergraduate degree program. There are no citizenship or affiliation restrictions and students from all countries are eligible.
The thesis, dissertation, or research project must be focused primarily on the systematics, biology, ecology, physiology, biochemistry, or paleontology of marine, terrestrial or freshwater mollusks in western North America. Projects dealing with cultural relationships, sustainability of resources, or conservation efforts are also appropriate. Research currently in progress or beginning in the following academic year will be considered.
- The cover of the application page should have the following information: proposal title, applicant name, addresses, contact numbers, etc, including a listing of no more than FIVE keywords that describe the proposed research.
- The proposal, limited to two pages, which discusses the research project and its malacological significance including details of the work to be aided by this grant.
- A budget that outlines how the grant funds will be used.
- A CV or outline of the applicant’s academic background.
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s research advisor (must be transmitted or mailed separately by advisor).
- A list of grants and amounts that are currently being received and have been applied for in the current academic year.
Membership in the Western Society of Malacologists is not required but is certainly encouraged and students receive a discounted rate. Award recipients are also encouraged to present their research at a subsequent WSM meeting. Abstracts are published in the WSM Annual Report.
Applications should be submitted in PDF format as a single document.
Please entitle the document as: lastname.firstname.WSM2017.pdf
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards of up to $1000.00 US are available.
Completed applications must be received no later than APRIL 17, 2017. NO exceptions. Please apply early and avoid the deadline rush. Awards will be announced during the Annual Meeting of the Western Society of Malacologists
For further information contact:
Danielle Zacherl, Associate Professor
(657) 278-7510 (voice); (714) 278-3426 (fax)
Department of Biological Science, Box 6850
California State University Fullerton
Fullerton, CA 92834-6850